There is no denying that global temperatures rise, the oceans absorb the heat and we have shrinking ice sheets. Humans are set to eat more meat than ever before, which is one of the many reasons our climate is changing. Integrating more veggies into a diet is therefore not only better for us but also for the environment since the meat industry today is a phenomenal wasteful, land-and energy-hungry system that devastates our nature.
In the past years, I reduced eating meat drastically and switched to a rather plant-based diet (even though I really love eating meat). Nevertheless, there are so many great vegetarian recipes out there, that reducing meat only had benefits on my diet. Kotanyi recently launched their new product range VEGGY Spices and asked me to create two vegetarian recipes by integrating their spice mixes; Toasted Dark Bread with Beetroot Hummus, Feta and Avocado & Raspberry Oatmeal Pecan Crumble.
Together with other food bloggers, we met at this amazing kitchen space a few weeks ago in Vienna and we followed our VEGGY Spices recipe creations. At the end of the day, we sat down, enjoyed each others company, talked a lot about dogs (please don’t ask me why) and ate the delicious food we cooked. Below you can find the recipes I created!
Raspberry Oatmeal Pecan Crumble
I love oatmeal if you have not already noticed and since the days are starting to cool down and summer is slowly embracing autumn, you should enfold the recipe to this Raspberry Oatmeal Pecan Crumble. Adding VEGGY Sweet spice into this recipe will give it a delicious orange-cinnamon flavor with a touch of maca powder.
- 300 g oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 40 g of flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 handful of pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- ¼ tsp
- VEGGY Sweet
- Pinch of salt
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 300 g frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 50 ml maple syrup
- 900 ml almond milk
- 1/2 handful of roasted
- pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- Some maple syrup
- Handful of raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 190 ° C.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and place the batter in a medium oven dish to bake for 30 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for the topping (except the sea salt) in a bowl and place on a baking paper and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 15 minutes and let it cool.
- The topping can be sprinkled over the crumble and is perfect served with some yoghurt.
Toasted Dark Bread with Beetroot Hummus, Feta & Avocado
- 2 medium beetroots
- 400 g of chickpeas (cooked and drained)
- 2 ½ Tahini
- 1 garlic glove
- juice of half a lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ TL
- VEGGY Hot+Spicy
- 4 slices of toasted black bread
- 2 avocado
- ½ avocado sliced per slice of bread
- 200g of feta, 50 g per slice of bread
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C while wrapping the beets in aluminum foil in order to roast them for a round 1.5 hours until soft.
- Once the beets are ready, remove them from the oven to peel the skin. Then cut them into cubes.
- Place the beets together with the chickpeas and the garlic inside a food processor and mix until smooth. Add the tahini, lemon juice, salt and the VEGGY HOT+Spicy powder and mix for another 10 seconds. If the hummus is too firm, add some water. The hummus can be transferred from the mixer to a bowl then set aside.
- Toast the black bread, spread the hummus on the bread and spread the avocado slices and the feta on top.